News & Events

MEA Executive Meeting Minutes

Minutes of the meeting held on 7 November 2012

Attendees: Pete Fraser (Chair) Jenny Grahame (Vice-Chair) Sarah Mumford (Secretary) John Potter, Ian Wall (Trustees), Julian McDougall, Kate Domaille

1. Minutes of last meeting

The minutes were agreed as a true record

2. Matters arising

PF and JG reported that the Loughborough event was quite successful, with around 40 attendees and some good dialogue between HE and those in 16-19. All other items are referred to elsewhere on this agenda

3. Apologies for absence:

Jon Wardle (Treasurer), Tim Brook,  Sue Ellis

4. Conference arrangements

Kate reported on these. Ticket sales so far have really picked up and we will need to make more available. Speakers all in place. Logistics organized and Kate meeting with Nicky North later today to finalise. Mark Reid will sort the lunch and Nicky will do a single page programme. We will have signups from Friday evening on the door. EMC will have a stall and there will be leaflets from BU and a DVd from Film Ed, who will provide canvas bags. Auteur have not responded. HAT may be donating some money, Film Ed are paying for wine reception and Routledge £100 towards lunch. The AGM at the end of the day will feature some input from Mark Reid on the Film Strategy. Agreed that we will chair sessions to intro speakers. Kate will e-mail delegates to find out numbers for the Friday evening.

5. Finances and accounts for 2011

2011 accounts were circulated in advance for comment. PF explained the problem with the association name at Companies House and the complications for the auditor in getting them right. However, it should make things easier in subsequent years. In the absence of JW, PF talked through current position. Main spending this year has been on Kate’s role, the new website and the local groups.

Current balance is £23k with over £2k to go in payments by end of year, but some profit expected from conference. Next year fixed payments- accounts £400, insurance £300, Cfsa £200, website £70.

There was some discussion on whether we need to start looking at future sources of income and whether we should get involved in commissioning research with our existing funds. We will try to take a role in future research and look to get some funds that way, but whether we fund any research entirely ourselves was felt to be more complex. There was some discussion of what UKLA and NATE do, and some feeling that maybe we should explore this further?

6. Council for Subject associations report back

Kate reported back on this (paper circulated in advance)- we shared her skepticism re- the proposed Royal College of Teachers. JP asked about the mood of the CfSA and Kate expanded on this. The general view was that it was important to remain in the association.

7. Future of GCSE and A level

PF reported back on attending Ofqual consultations on A level and on his  current understanding of the situation through OCR. Jenny added some points of English KS3/4 and will circulate the executive with further information. We will discuss all this at the conference AGM session.

8. BFI and £28m plans…

IW explained how the current bid situation was unfolding, including the timescale. MEA involvement in the long term is still possible, particularly in areas of research and CPD.

9. Local groups

Three new groups have become established- in Jersey, Bromley and NW London and there is a chance of a fourth in East London. Kate will ask all groups to whom we gave money last year to submit an activity report by the end of term.

10. AOB

PF to attend EU event 16 Nov with a view to seeing where we might bid for funds- IW also going.

New website and mailing list- PF explained the (lack of) ‘reach of the newsletter, clicked open by about 25-30% and clicked through by about 15%.

KD passed on the info that the Teaching Agency has removed English ITT from all grade 2 university providers.

 

Share

Share